Friday, April 28, 2006

Update, update, update....so much updating....

It's been too long and things have piled up....

Almost a month since my last post! Whoa! Where to start?

Well, it's hard to believe that I've been in Taiwan for SIX MONTHS! I realized this the other day while teaching my Apple class. I've been their teacher for 22 weeks, unbelievable. Overall the work is going really well. There are some days when the kids drive me bananas but the vast majority of the time they are as sweet as pie. Really good kids.

Work has exploded for me in the past month. I picked up an extra class at the bushiban, 5 new hours of tutoring, and 4 hours of violin lessons. So, I'm working six days a week but enjoying it very much. My Saturdays consist of violin lessons only, which makes for a laid-back and well-paid change of pace.

In June I am performing with my friend Cindy and her uncle at the Cultural Centre. This is a huge honour and I am very pleased at the opportunity. My bio and picture will be on their website soon; I'll forward the link when it is posted.

Three weeks ago April, Dan, and I signed up for Mandarin classes at a language institute. We study for six hours per week and so far I'm loving it. Can't boast that I'm fluent yet but I definitely understand quite a bit more. We have daily tests and the teachers are all older and experienced. We also know everyone in the class so we have a good laugh pretty frequently.

Huge news is that I am now an aunt again! My brother Cam and his partner Kathie had a little girl named Bella Rose on International Women's Day. She's really lovely. Cam sent wide-eyed pictures of the lady just a couple of weeks ago. I hope I get to meet her soon!

The big excitement recently has been preparing for a two-week trip in Taiwan with Tomek!!!!! Whoooeeeee! He's arriving in Taipei on Mother's Day and so far we've planned to: hike up the highest peak in Northeastern Asia to watch the sunrise, visit Alishan National Park, rent a two-person scooter and drive up the coast, visit Kenting National Park to surf, snorkel, and sunbathe, rent a car and drive up the East coast to Taichung, Hualien, and Taroko Gorge, go hand gliding (!!!), celebrate my birthday and April's birthday, and spend two days in Taipei. What's really exciting is that he'll be here for my actual champagne birthday too. We're planning on being in Taroko National Park on that day to enjoy the hot springs and hiking.

Taiwan is jammed packed with ecological tourism and natural beauty. It was challenging to plan this trip because there's just so much to do. Two weeks is hardly enough but I think that we will cover all of the hotspots.

Well, I must get to work. It'll be SO nice to have a break in two weeks....
I hope all is well with everyone. I think about you guys a lot, OH!!!! Big excitement too....I'm definitely coming home for Christmas next year, probably for three weeks!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! It's going to rock! Snow! Mom's cooking! Familiar faces!

Love and warmth,
Rach

3 Comments:

Blogger elise said...

Keep up with the mandarin! Maybe you can teach me! :)

12:41 PM  
Blogger elise said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Hey Rach, love reading all of your updates, hopefully I can call soon and we can catch up now that I am back from Scotland. Lots of love, Jen

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home