A few new things to discuss


So I'm back into the blog. I took a little hiatus there for a bit but now I feel the need to update everyone on the day to day stuff. I haven't been on any little trips in the past two weeks so my news will consist of events occurring in Kaohsiung.
First off, my violin arrived quite some time ago! The above pictures tell the whole story. It was really exciting and I finally found someone to reset the sound post yesterday. It actually sounds good and I look forward to using it in my lessons. Thanks Mom!!!
In the post proceeding this one (above), there are some pics of the Taiwanese wedding I attended with my director last weekend. Vivian, my boss, is standing beside me in the black dress. Believe it or not she is 32 and has two daughters!!! The bride is wearing a red dress and is standing in the middle of the shot.
This was quite the affair. Aside from a buffet, I've never seen so much food in my life and we got plastic bags at the end to take home the uneaten portions! This reception was for the bride's family and friends. The day before, the groom celebrated with his relations. The actual wedding was on the Saturday in which the groom picked up his bride from her parent's house with an even number of cars and an even number of other people. This is important because even numbers are auspicious. When giving money at a wedding, you always give an amount that consists of the numbers 2 and/or 6 (i.e. $2200NT, $2600NT, etc). NOT 4! This number represents death.
In actuality we hardly saw the bride and groom. They entered the swanky restaurant in a procession of faux torches and light sabers (a la Star Wars). They did visit each table to have a brief toast but that was it. Finally, the bride changed into a new red dress in order to say goodbye to her guests (at the end they both stood at the door giving out candy and cigarettes!). The entire party lasted about 2 hours.
Above I've also included pics of my Chinese name in traditional characters. I actually wrote it myself (albeit painstakingly). It's probably far from accurate but it'll give you an idea of how it looks. I'm getting my own chop made soon!
take care!
love Rach


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home