Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Anniversary

Guess what?
I've been in Taiwan for exactly one year today. What an accomplishment. I've been looking forward to this date for quite some time. Knowing that it was fast approaching reminded me of just how fast live dances by. I can honestly say that in so many ways I've made the most of this past year.
An adult student of mine asked me about my reflections from my time in Taiwan thus far. Although there have been boughts of homesickness and mild depression, I still have an incredibly positive perception of the past year. He asked me what I remember the most. I'd have to say that it was the people I met, countries I visited, and learning to adapt in a very different culture. It has definitely challenged me to face my insecurities head-on! Let's just say that Taiwanese culture is a little more blunt than western culture. It would be accurate to say that I've been tested on my flexibility as a friend and employee.
When I got to work I mentioned my anniversary to Vivian, my boss. Not one hour later, as I was tutoring her daughter, Vivian came into the classroom with a bottle of wine and two glasses. "We have to celebrate!" she exclaimed. Times like these remind me of the personal investments I have made while living in this country. It is even clearer to me now that I have created strong bonds with people in Taiwan. Ones that I know will endure when I return home.
Gumbeh! Cheers! Here's to Carpe Diem! Here's to choosing to participate in our world of endless options! Here's to coming home soon and deeply acknowledging this adventurous and fantastic life I've led thus far!

2 Comments:

Blogger elise said...

Hey, future sis-in-law! You've come a long way... I've enjoyed reading about your adventures in the east. It will be nice to see you back on Canadian soil, at least until you go on your next adventure.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

hey you, congrats on making it one year, that's awesome. I really can't wait to hear so many stories when you get home. I miss you tons. Love ya

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home