Monday, January 30, 2006

Update from SK

So I'm sitting in the Busan bus station, waiting for my 3:30 connection to Taejon. Sarah and I said our goodbyes about 2 hours ago and I'm in scarf, mittens, and a wool coat (there don't keep the doors closed here). It feels weird to be typing without access to an exclamation point, kinda funny to realize how much I use it :)

There are a few differences that I have noticed already between Taiwan and South Korea. Well, first off, it's way colder here (enough said, I'll stop talking about that now). It's also much cleaner and more "Western" in its appearance. The streets are wider and much, much tidier. The biggest factor is probably the air pollution caused by scooters in Taiwan. The air is definitely cleaner and fresher here. Something else that I've noticed is the differing attitude towards foreigners. At times it seems clear that we are not welcome. For instance, at the fish market yesterday, Sarah and I were told (while being shooed away) that a certain tea was, "not for foreigners". Sarah has also told me about specific instances in which she has been asked to leave restaurants because she is not Korean. Yikes (imagine an exclamation point right here). I have not heard of these situations arising in Taiwan, nor have I experienced them myself.

But, of course, most folks are extremely courteous, respectful, and helpful. I just had a handful of people assist me at the bus station and they really appreciate it when you make an effort to speak Korean. I've already learned how to say: hello, no, yes, thankyou, and (my favorite) Gimchichigay a particularly delicious soup that consists of Gimchi (can be pronounced Kimchi depending upon where you're from), tuna, tofu and rice. Korean food is AWESOME. So healthy and flavourful. A meal at a basic "fast-food" (NOT what you'd think of, like, Mickey D's or some other horrible slop) restaurant is about 3 bucks USD. More expensive than Taiwan.

During our short visit Sarah and I visited the Beomo temple (Beomeosa), the Pusan National University area for shopping (actually found some great jeans), Nampo Dong for more shopping (where I bought four ceramic bowls in the traditional Korean green for 2 bucks a piece) , and the Jagalchi fish market. Once again, I have the impression that Busan is an interesting mix of old and new. You'll see the Busan Tower next to dried fish stands as in Hong Kong.

A couple of notes on the Korean language that I've learned thus far: B's and P's are interchangeable (Busan and Pusan are the same), R's and L's are interchangeable, and so are D's and T's (for example: Daejon and Taejon). Their written language is extremely easy to learn and is based on phonics. There are 24 different characters that all represent one sound each. So, if you know what the spoken Korean word means, you can read just about anything. Truly brillant. Mandarin is MUCH more complicated (each word has it's OWN character, thousands upon thousands).

Also, the written and spoken language is much softer to my ear than Mandarin or Taiwanese. It's breathier and their characters incorporate circles and ovals instead of straight lines and sharp angles. Interesting, very interesting. I've also been fortunate enough to see many Hamboks (the traditional Korean garb) as they are currently celebrating the Lunar New Year.

I must go find my platform. I'll update soon from Daejon (Taejon).
love Rach

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home