An Anniversary
It's December in Perth, Ontario. Outside my window I see a wintery scene; an icy lake, trees heavy with snow, the colourful warmth of the rising sun and a stillness which permeates throughout. I AM HOME!
It has been one year since my return from Asia. Very recently, I've actually started to miss the hustle and bustle of crowded Taiwanese streets. The excitement was palpable and the desire to explore was insatiable.
It has taken me this long to realize how much I miss Taiwan, although it is wonderful to be back in Canada. I find myself thinking of the steamed buns, tea stands, conversations in broken English with Taiwanese friends, dumplings, night markets, scooter rides, hilarious attempts at speaking Mandarin, and yes, the grime. Sometimes I even miss the grime.
Being away from home certainly put things into perspective. I realized, and still realize, how absolutely fortunate we are to live in this beautiful, free, and expansive country. I deeply appreciate our culture and inclusiveness.
I can honestly say that traveling provided me which knowledge, strength, flexibility, adaptability, meaningful cross-cultural moments, and insight. It has also given me the inner peace to settle down and create a good, wholesome life here in Canada.
p.s. ..."Oh Canada our home and native land...."


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home