Miscellaneous and 'life in general' events
Hey!
Below you'll find some recently posted pictures of our apartment in Kaohsiung. It's a beaut. We're super happy with the space and are only paying $248 CAD per month (each) for rent + concierge fees. Yes, we have a 24 hour concierge service, a really nice man buzzes us in each time we arrive at the main door.
I've been hibernating in the apartment like a recluse. Right now I can only handle leaving for a few hours per day. So far that's been taken up with a job interview, demo, and a memorable trip to the hospital for my "healthy check" as they call it here. I've been spending tons of time in the apartment just reading and cooking/cleaning. I made delicious sushi the other day and have managed to find cheap, Western style food at the grocery store. I figure that I'll be able to live on about 600 bucks per month, and saving the rest. Right now I'm looking for teaching hours in the am but I'm sure that opportunities will come with time. I'm also just takin' it easy and allowing myself to SLOWLY get used to the very new and different surroundings. I don't know what it would be like if April and Dan hadn't arrived earlier. They've dealt with so many things already (i.e. phone not working nightmares) so I don't have too. Once again, I feel very lucky indeed.
BUT!!! I'm about to embark on a big trip outside! Wish me luck! I'm going exploring by myself. I want to find some stuff and withdrawal money. I have a map and I feel confident!
This weekend will be spent relaxing, April and I are going to a movie tonight (yet another big outing, I must be on a roll). Tomorrow I buy my scooter!!!! Whoooooeeeee! Tomorrow we're all going to a BBQ at Dan's school and Monday night I'm hoping to sub for another foreign teacher to make some dough. Then Mark and Melissa arrive on Wednesday!!!!!!! The following Wednesday, I start work. I'm sure that it will all pass very quickly and the next thing I know I'll be working like a fiend. SO, I'm enjoying the time off now.
More on the hospital trip: pretty well organized although English was used very little, mostly communicated with hand signals. A bit of background: in Taiwan you must have a clean bill of health in order to work. That includes pregnancy, HIV, parasites, blood pressure, weight, height, and a bunch of other random stuff I didn't understand. The hospital was efficient and the hour long process cost me about 30 bucks CAD. When I start working I will get health insurance for 9 dollars CAD per month (my school pays 30 per month) and that includes dental!!!! I'll be able to go and get my teeth cleaned for about 3 bucks CAD after the insurance bit kicks in.
The nursing team was good for the most part. Of course there were some funny mishaps and misunderstandings. Like, I brought the wrong bodily fluid out and the nurse had a good laugh. I had to go back and try again (won't gross you out with the details), which was not easy because they didn't have toilets at the hospital! Shocker! Only holes in the ground. I also had to do an eye test whose chart included signs that are not found in the English alphabet, so an elaborate system of hand signals was thus developed. When the doctor examined me he put a stethoscope on my chest for about a millisecond and was able to check off about 50 boxes (he must be good!). And finally, when they took my blood they definitely lacked some bedside manner. I'm usually pretty tough when it comes to needles but I actually gasped when it went in. No use in prolonging the procedure I guess!
OK, I'm about ready to go on my big solo adventure. I did drive a scooter to my school yesterday and managed not to get lost (about 20-25 mins each way).
I'll post pics of my on my scooter once I pick it up tomorrow.
love Rach

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home