Koh Tao
I feel soooo relaxed....
I'm still on Koh Tao, it's now the fourth day and we've been chillin' like we've never chilled before. The lifestyle here is laid back, and, because it's the off season, everything seems incredibly cheap. Just to give you an idea: lodging each night: $4.50 USD per night, meals (like, the BEST, most tasty Thai food made with coconut milk, curries, fresh seafood, etc.) about $1.50-$3.00 USD, and Singha (domestic Thai beer): $1.50 per bottle. They also sell alcohol by the bucket, yes, I did type, "by the bucket".
The first night we met up with a couple of guys: one from Switzerland and the other from England. After eating out (I had Pad Thai with shrimp), we headed to a beach bar called Lotus. It looked amazing at night: candles on the beach, carpets to sit on, mats to lay back on, torches, and lights strung about. Periodically a Thai guy would pick up a set of fire sticks on ropes and dance with them to the music (will put a picture of this up later).
The next day Rebecca and I visited a spa. Get this: for $30 Canadian we got 3.5 hours of treatment including Thai massage, manicure, pedicure, reflexology, and herbal steam bath. It was unbelievable. Especially the Thai massage which is unlike any treatment I've received. They actually use their entire body to manipulate your own. At some points they stretch your legs with their hands and feet, or, they cradle you while streching your back. I think that I'll probably get another Thai massage in Bangkok.
We also hooked up with a couple of Australian girls and the seven of us are hanging out, eating meals together, and going dancing. Everyone is so friendly and the Thai people are very hospitable.
Yesterday we went on a trek to another beach and this afternoon is snorkeling. Unfortunately the weather has not been great (it's actually monsoon season here) but that also means that prices are even lower than usual. I've also been told that Bangkok is half as expensive as Koh Tao.
miss you all,
Rachel

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home